The perfect tiffin: Oats and ragi pancakes
The summer holidays are over and schools have reopened. While the kids look forward to go to school & meet their friends, mothers must be struggling everyday to make healthy & tasty snack for kids without compromising on the nutritious value. Here’s a simple, healthy, kids friendly & nutritious recipe. Oats and ragi are healthy and will give your child the strength and nutrients he/she needs while the pancakes are sure to entice a child’s sweet tooth.
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup ragi flour
- 3 tbsp semolina
- 6 tbsp jaggery (or as needed)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp clarified butter + some more for greasing the pan
- pinch of salt
- skimmed milk as needed
- few drops of vanilla essence
- Honey & Fresh strawberries for serving
- Dry roast the oats for 2 minutes in a pan until it becomes a fine powder. Keep aside for further use.
- Dry roast the ragi powder & semolina separately for 2 minutes (don’t over roast the semolina). You can prepare the dry powder of ragi, oats & semolina for a month; store it in a cool & dry place so that it will be easier to make pancake.
- Mix the ragi, oats, semolina, jaggery, salt, clarified butter, vanilla essence & skimmed milk and keep aside for 15 minutes. Taste the batters and if required, add some more jaggery.
- The consistency should be free flowing (similar to dosa batter).
- Before making the pancakes, add baking soda & mix the batter properly.
- Heat the griddle, grease it with clarified butter, add a spoonful of batter & prepare the pancakes on medium flame.
- Cover the pancake.
- You will see some bubbles forming on the pancakes; flip the pancake after 5 minutes. Cook until done.
- Serve with honey & fresh strawberries.The above recipe will yield 12 pancakes.