The different areas in the charming parts of old Pune city are referred as Peths. Each Peth has a different name and story to narrate with its own reasoning. It is said that some were named after the day of the week; others were named after a renowned person as a gesture of respect for their commendable work or service. Here are some of the city’s Peths along with some interesting trivia!
One of the oldest Peths to have cropped up was Kasba Peth. Established during 1637-62, Kasba Ganpati, which is considered to be the oldest and one of the most renowned temples in the city, is located in the same vicinity and therefore the area is named after the deity.
This Peth was named after the Sadashivrao Bhau who lost his life in 1761 during the war of Panipath. Initially, the Peth was set up only for military soldiers but eventually, a large number of Brahmins started residing here.
Narayan Peth was built in 1773 by Narayanrao Peshwa during his reign. The very popular Kesari Wada, also called the Gaikwad Wada is located here.
It is named after Goddess Bhavani, whose temple is located in the same vicinity since 1763. It was also known as the ‘Borevan’ due to the numerous Bor or berry trees present in the area. Sardar Nana Phadanvisan encouraged business in this Peth, which later transformed into a bigger market of importance. Today, this region has a well known market of hardware, timber and steel.
This area was colonised during the reign of Sawai Madhavrao Peshwa. A commercial centre, the Peth was initially known as ‘Muzaffarjang’ but was later short formed to Ganj. It is a place where Mahatma Jyotirao Phule resided and opened the first school for untouchables.
Originally known as ‘Nihal Peth’, it was renamed as Nana Peth in the memory of Nana Phadanvis in the year 1761. Today, the area has an automotive spare parts and wholesale grocery market.
Known as ‘Shivpuri’ in the ancient days, the area was established in 1775. It came to be called as Rasta Peth in memory of Sardar Anandrao Laxmanrao Raste.
One of the newest Peths which probably may be the reason behind its name as Navi that means new. The locality mostly has Brahmin residents. The popular Vaikunth crematorium is also located here.
This area was named ‘Malkapur’ before but later came to be known as Raviwar Peth during the reign of Balaji Bajirao Peshwa, Vyavhare, Mahajan, and Joshi. The reason being the fact that it’s closed on Sundays.
The place is also popularly known as ‘Saraaf Katta’, which means the area for goldsmiths due to the number of gold and silver shops located here.
Earlier known as ‘Shahpura’, the residents of this area were called ‘Gosavi’. Before the banks came into existence, the citizens of this area used to lend money.
Initially known as ‘Shaistepura’, Mangalwar Peth was famous for its various businesses. This area was destroyed during the Panshet dam floods but eventually got back to its original stature. The very popular ‘Juna bazaar’ is situated in this area.
It was known as Mohitabad or Moheyabad during the rule of Delhi’s Badshah Aurangzeb. After it came back to the Peshwas, it was renamed as Budhwar Peth by Thorale Madhvarao Peshwa.
Also known as ‘Vetal Peth’ due to the presence of Vetal temple. This area was developed by Jivajipant Khasgiwale in 1730. The place was once popular for elephant fighting shows.
At first, it came to be known as ‘Visapur’ and was one of largest areas in the city. In 1734, it was renamed as Shukrawar Peth, after it was developed by Jivajipant Khasgiwale. Mandai, the historical market of the city was built here in 1885.
Popular for the magnificent Shaniwar Wada, the area was known as Murujabad/ Murtuzabad. It came to be known as Shaniwar Peth during the Peshwa rule. In 1730, the glorious Shaniwar Wada was constructed here by Thorale Bajirao.
More Peths coming up soon!
All images are clicked by Parmeet Kohli.