A twist in cooking
It was quite a foodie moment when young celeb chef Saransh Goila came to Pune for ‘The Cookout for a Cause’, held at The O Hotel. The cookout is basically for doing a good deed with the proceeds being donated to Prashanti Cancer Care Mission. At the event, one saw the 26-year-old chef give a contemporary twist to traditional Indian food. Here are two such recipes for you to prepare with ease in your kitchen.
Ridge gourd cooked with Punjabi Tadka
250 grams ridge gourd (turai), peeled and cut into thin slices
1 teaspoon Olive Oil
¾ teaspoon cumin seeds
2 medium onions, chopped
1 inch ginger, chopped
2 green chillies, chopped
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon coriander powder
½ teaspoon red chilli powder
½ teaspoon dried mango powder (amchur)
½ teaspoon garam masala powder
Salt to taste
1 medium potato, cubed
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker and add cumin seeds. When they begin to change colour, add onions and sauté till transparent.
- Add ginger, green chilies and turmeric powder and sauté till the onions turn light brown.
- Add tomatoes and cook till they are soft.
- Add coriander powder, red chili powder, dried mango powder, garam masala powder and salt. Sauté till the ghee separates from the masala.
- Add the ridge gourd slices and potato cubes and sauté for three to four minutes. Add half cup water and pressure cook till two whistles are given out.
- Serve hot.
PALAK SAI BHAJI
A new and healthy way of cooking Spinach, Bhindi and Arbi.
4 tbsp chana dal
4 cups spinach chopped
200 gm Bhindi
100 g Arbi
3/4 cup khatta palak chopped
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped potatoes
4 tsp ginger-garlic paste
2 tsp chilli powder
2 whole green chillis
2 tsp coriander
A pinch of turmeric powder
2 tsp Olive oil
Salt to taste
- Combine the chana dal with one cup of water and pressure cook for one whistle. Drain the excess water and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions, potatoes, arbi, bhindi and ginger-garlic paste and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt and sauté.
- Add the spinach, khatta bhaji and the cooked chana dal and pressure cook for 15 minutes.
- Allow it to cool and whisk the mixture well.
- Serve hot with cooked brown onion rice!