Benjamin Franklin once said that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Pune reported its first swine flu death this year earlier this week. If this news reminds you of the pandemic caused in 2009, take Benjamin Franklin’s advice and follow these preventive tips to stay safe this monsoon:
- Since the H1N1 virus mainly spreads from person to person, take steps to ensure your safety especially in crowded and public places.
- Always cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze. Do not use the same handkerchief daily.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap or an alcohol-based sanitiser after you cough or sneeze.
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth and nose. Also avoid contact with people you think might have a cough, cold or flu-like symptoms.
- Stay healthy with good amounts of sleep and regular physical exercise.
- Keep your pets healthy by ensuring regular check ups and vaccinations.