A bustling crowd of 45-50 enthusiastic Punekars had gathered last Saturday (28 June) at the Courtyard by Marriott Pune City Centre to attend a Bread Baking Masterclass with Chef de Partie Gerwin D’souza. Before the chef had even begun baking his breads, curious bakers had already asked for tips and tricks to bake bread to perfection. These included particulars of the dough, the oven temperature, consistency, etc!
We caught up with the 24 year old chef from Mumbai who now works at the Courtyard City Centre in Pune. “I enjoy making bread the most. There’s nothing else that gives you so much variety with such little ingredients! All you need is flour, salt, sugar, yeast and water!”, he quips. “With the Masterclass, I am simplifying the process so that one can make these exotic breads at home,” he adds. Ask him what he enjoys eating the most and he says “cheesecake!” before you’ve even finished asking him the question. His students promptly tell us that he makes one of the best cheesecakes they have ever eaten!
Here’s Chef de Partie Gerwin D’souza’s recipe for Focaccia bread:
- 1 kg Refined Flour
- 20 gm Salt
- 100 gm Sugar
- 30 gm Yeast
- 100 gm Butter
- 50 ml Olive Oil
- 600 ml (approx.) Water
- 20 gm Gluten
- 20 gm Bread Improver
- Preheat the oven to 250 C.
- Mix all the ingredients together to form smooth soft dough.
- With oiled hands, roll small portions of dough and place on a greased baking tray.
- Make dimples in the dough and put toppings and finish with grated cheese.
- Prove focaccias for approximately one hour and then bake at 250 C for 8-10 minutes or till you get a nice golden brown color.
- Brush with olive oil as soon as the focaccias are out of the oven.
Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published.