Raw Mango (or Kairi as we Punekars like to call it) is available in abundant during summers. So why not kick start this summer with some special recipes to enjoy this versatile fruit? Here are a few recipes that have kairi as the main ingredient:
Kairi Panha is a raw mango drink which is a refreshing coolant as well as an energetic drink, for it helps the body to cope with the crazy summer heat. The good thing is that the panha pulp can be stored in the fridge for a month, so you can use it whenever required.
1 cup raw mango pulp (made from 2 medium size raw mangoes)
1½ cup sugar
½ tsp. saffron strands
1 tsp. cardamom powder
salt while preparing the drink
cold water to prepare the panha.
- Wash the mangoes thoroughly and pressure cook them with the skin on.
- After the raw mango cools, de-skin them, blend the pulp well with the sugar in the blender.
- Add cardamom powder & saffron. The thick pulp is ready. This pulp can be stored in the fridge for a month
- While serving use 1 tsp. of pulp for one glass of cold water, add salt, mint(optional) and stir to mix well. Serve chilled.
Methamba (Raw Mango Relish)
“Methamba” is a popular raw mango relish prepared during summers. As the name describes, it is prepared from methi (fenugreek seeds) and amba (kairi / raw mango). “Methamba” goes well as an accompaniment with chapathi/ paratha or curd rice. This is a very simple and easy recipe will surely lifts up your spirit on a hot summer day. The sour, sweet, bitter flavoured relish definitely is a treat for your taste buds.
1 cup pieces of raw mango
¼ cup jaggery (This will depend upon the sourness of the mango.)
1 tsp chilli powder
¼ cup water
salt to taste
2 tsp oil
¼ tsp mustard seeds
¼ tsp asafoetida powder
½ tsp fenugreek seeds
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan. Once the oil is hot, add mustard seeds and let them splutter, add asafoetida powder, fenugreek seeds and wait until they give out their aroma.
- Add mango pieces. Stir them well, so that they get coated with the seasoning. Add chilli powder and stir again. Add water and cover the pan partly. Let the mango pieces cook in the steam.
- Now add the jaggery & salt.
- Let it simmer for about 5 minutes. The preparation needs to become semi-solid. Once it reaches that consistency, take it off the heat.
- Let it cool uncovered. Then take it out into a serving bowl.
- If stored well-covered in the refrigerator, it should stay fresh for at least a week.
Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published.