The different areas in old Pune city are referred as Peths in Marathi. Each Peth has a different name and a different story to narrate with its own reasoning. It is said that some were named after the day of the week; others were named after a renowned person as a gesture of respect for their commendable work or service.
We at the Punekar, give a lowdown about all the seventeen Peths that are located in the city along with interesting trivia tidbits.
Kasba Peth – One of the oldest and the first Peths to have come up was the Kasba peth. This peth was established during 1637-62. Kasba Ganpati which is considered to be the oldest and one of the most renowned temples in the city is located in the same vicinity and therefore the area is named after the deity.
Sadashiv Peth – This Peth was named after the Sadashivrao Bhau who lost his life in 1761 during the war of Panipath. Initially the Peth was set up only for the military soldiers but eventually large number of Brahmins started residing here.
Narayan Peth – Narayan Peth was built in 1773 by Narayanrao Peshwa during his reign. The very popular Kesari Wada, also called as the Gaikwad Wada is located here.
Bhavani Peth – It is named after the Goddess Bhavani whose temple is located in the same vicinity since 1763. It was also known as the ‘Borevan’ due to the numerous bor or berry trees present in the area. Sardar Nana Phadanvisan encouraged business in this Peth which later transformed into a bigger market of importance. Today, this region has a well known market of hardware, timber and steel.
Ganj Peth – This area was colonized during the reign of Sawai Madhavrao Peshwa. A commercial centre, this peth was initially known as ‘Muzaffarjang’ but was later short formed to Ganj for convenience sake. It is a place where Mahatma Jyotirao Phule resided and opened the first school for untouchables.
Ghorpade Peth– This Peth is named after the Sadar Ghorpade. These days it’s a residential area.
Nana Peth– Originally known as ‘Nihal Peth’, it was renamed as Nana Peth in the memory of Nana Phadanvis in the year 1761. Today, the area has an automotive spare parts and wholesale grocery market.
Rasta Peth – Known as ‘Shivpuri’ in the ancient days, the area was established in 1775. It came to be called as Rasta Peth in the memory of Sardar Anandrao Laxmanrao Raste. The population of South Indians is comparatively high in this locality.
Ganesh Peth – Named after Lord Ganesha, this Peth was populated since 1775 by Sadar Jivajipant Khazgiwale.
Navi Peth – One of the newest formed Peths which probably may be the reason behind its name as navi that means new. The locality mostly has Brahmin residents. The popular Vaikunth crematorium is also located here.
Raviwar Peth – This area was named ‘Malkapur’ before but later came to be known as Raviwar Peth during the reign of Balaji Bajirao Peshwa, Vyavhare, Mahajan, and Joshi. The reason being, that it is closed on Sundays.
The place is also popularly known as ‘Saraaf Katta’ which means area for the goldsmiths due to the number of gold and silver shops located here.
Somwar Peth– Earlier known as ‘Shahpura’ the residents of this area were called as ‘Gosavi’. Before the banks came into existence, the citizens of this area used to lend money.
Mangalwar Peth – Initially known as ‘Shaistepura’ Mangalwar Peth was famous for its various businesses. This area was destroyed during the Panshet dam floods but eventually got back to its original stature. The very popular ‘Juna bazaar’ is situated in this area.
Budhwar Peth – It was known as Mohitabad or Moheyabad during the rule of Delhi’s Badshah Aurangzeb. After it came back to the Peshwas, it was renamed as Budhwar Peth by Thorale Madhvarao Peshwa.
Guruwar Peth – Also known as ‘Vetal Peth’ due to the presence of Vetal temple. This area was developed by Jivajipant Khasgiwale in 1730. The place was once popular for elephant fighting shows.
Shukrawar Peth– At first, it came to be known as ‘Visapur’ and was one of largest areas in the city. In 1734, it was renamed as Shukrawar Peth, after it was developed by Jivajipant Khasgiwale. Mandai, the historical market of the city was built here in 1885.
Shaniwar Peth – Popular for the magnificent Shaniwar Wada, the area was known as Murujabad/ Murtuzabad. It came to be called as Shaniwar Peth during the Peshwa rule. In 1730, the glorious Shaniwar Wada was constructed here by Thorale Bajirao.
Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published.